Wednesday 5 January 2011

Phil Barker at The Sharp End

Following a heads up from Rolf Hedges, I took a look at Phil Barker's Modern skirmish rules for asymmetric warfare. You can download a free copy by clicking on this link [The Sharp End].

I've only read through so far and found a lot that I like. I can honestly feel my Catterick days coming back as I thumb through. Which takes me to the excellent School Days, Army Days, etc blog. Don't look at the text - you can go back and read it afterwards - just look at the photos and picture this as a squaddie's private journal of patrolling Borchester and district in Winter of '79.

There was an interesting thread on TMP from Pete Murray who playtested The Sharp End. And Bob Cordery has some photos of a game in action at COW on his interesting Wargaming Miscelleny blog. I passed up The Sharp End when I first heard about it - there being so many Modern rules available, you can spend all your time flitting from one set to another without getting to grips with them and to know them well enough to have an enjoyable game that just reached that effortless state of flow.

I'm glad that I took the time to look over The Sharp End. I can't tell you whether it's good or else yet - it may be we just nick elements for our games. But, it's just piqued my interest and speaks to me direct from the page.

Cheers
Mark

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up. I printed out a copy to read.

    ReplyDelete