Sunday 11 November 2012

The Navy Lark


00:37hrs Zulu: HMS Shoestring slips her station off Penzance and makes a dash for a pro Government port. Whoop! Whoop!

I loved Seastrike (WRG Edition) as an adolescent and have picked up a group of tasty Triang Minic 1/1250 waterline diecast Royal Navy warships from eBay to regain some of that innocent pleasure within a Winter of '79 setting.

The models aren't at all bad and came in between £1.50 and £3 each from a private seller.  OK, not quite what I wanted in terms of pure 1979 warships - but have you seen the price of 1/1200 and 1/1250 warship kits? I felt that for a bit of a laugh and an excuse to go Whoop! Whoop! over the kitchen table they would be fine.

Now, Seastrike was fought around a series of islands. Could easily set the naval engagements off the Orkney's, Shetland and Hebrides, but I was also wondering about using Container and Tanker shipping to fulfil the same role within the Channel or Irish Sea?


Cheers
Mark

4 comments:

  1. I too loved seastrike but don't have a copy anymore.You wouldn't be able to photocopy the rules for me by any chance?
    cheers
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to meet a fellow aficianado of this classic game Alan. Unfortunately I don't own the game any more. We are going to make up the rules based upon the pics from BoardGameGeek!

    There is another set of rules I will be deploying but I don't want to tip my hand just yet.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I have the sea strike rules if you are interested in a scanned copy? Email me at stevthom1@hotmail.com

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Navy Lark? I never trusted that Capt Povey.

    The Go In and Sink rules (or Red Banner??) from Free Wargames kept me occupied for while. Quite Sea Strike I believe.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete