Monday 3 March 2014

SITREP

Thanks to encouragement from Jim Brent, I've started to get my painting mojo back! Still early days but I'm steadily working through Ultra-Modern Russians. Thought I'd finish these before turning my hand to 1979 Brits. Unfolding events in the Ukraine are a complete co-incidence. I simply wanted to get my hand in painting camo before taking on British DPM again.

Wartime Miniatures 20mm Ultra-Modern Russians

I've chosen to represent the slightly older Flora pattern camouflage. After a couple of tests, I deliberately decided to paint the pattern larger than scale and it works really well. A nice contrast can be gained by painting their kit green, and they have a lot of kit. But instead I've taken the slightly harder route and painted it in Flora too (for the most part).

 The Flora pattern comes in different shades and so with the first couple of minis I alternated the colour shades between the fatigues and the kit. And you know what? Couldn't tell more than six inches from my eyeball without painting the lighter shade almost khaki drill. Saving myself the extra effort I just used the same 'avocado' base colour for both the fatigues and kit throughout all 20 plus minis.

Glad the figures worked out to my liking as it has boosted my confidence no end. OK, I'm a bit slow and hesitant just now, plus have a lot to relearn but I'm painting and enjoying it.

Cheers
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment